Managing your Small Business’ Social Media presence can be like navigating through a maze. Do we need to turn left or right, is it a dead end or are we on the right path?
Before you embark on spending serious money on paid advertising and using all your time creating content for your Social Media platforms, there are 8 simple steps you can take to improve the online presence of your business.
- KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER AVATAR
A customer avatar is a fictional character who embodies your ideal customer. Knowing who this is, will help you to find your ideal customers on Social Media.
The following questions will help find your customer avatar:
- What is their average age, gender, relationship info, location and budget? Are your customer avatar a double income family of 4, a single professional or a backpacker travelling the globe?
- What values are important to them? Do they want financial stability, do they like to live off the grid or do they prefer a luxury penthouse apartment?
- What are their interests? Do they like to play sport, attend music concerts or arts festivals?
- What motivates them to buy? What are there reasons for buying?
- Where do you find them on Social Media? Which Social Media platforms do they prefer, who do they follow and which groups do they belong to?
2. USE A SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT TOOL
Social Media management tools streamline and consolidate your Social Media marketing efforts to save you time.
A good Social Media management tool will perform the following functions:
- Post on multiple platforms at once.
- Schedule posts to reach more customers when they’re on Social Media.
- Analyse your business social performance and generate reports.
- Have a mobile app to manage ‘on the go’.
Each Social Media management tool has its unique features, advantages and disadvantages. The requirements of your business will ultimately determines which tool will be best for you.
Several Social Media management tools offer a free limited subscription period for you to try it before you sign up. Forbes has a very insightful article (link here) where they list 15 Social Media management tools.
3. HAVE THE SAME USERNAME FOR ALL PLATFORMS
Having the same username for all your Social Media platforms is mandatory today. Choose a username that suits your brand’s identity and ties in with your website.
The same username across all platforms creates consistency and builds your brand. You want to take the guess work out of trying to find your business and make it easy for people to follow you on multiple platforms.
4. INSTALL FOLLOW BUTTONS ON YOUR WEBSITE
Install follow buttons on your website that links directly to you Social Media accounts. These buttons directs traffic to your Social Media accounts and allow people to stay-up-to-date with the latest news on your business.
5. CUSTOMISE CONTENT FOR EACH PLATFORM
Each Social Media platform has its unique characteristics. Twitter allows only 280 characters, so your message needs to be sharp and on point.
LinkedIn is excellent to share industry articles and news. LinkedIn Pulse is a great way to publish your own content and share within your LinkedIn community. This is one of the best ways to build your reputation and increase trust.
Facebook has a more relaxed feel and is still one of the best platforms to interact with your community. For those who have the time and who’s business it would suit, I would definitely recommend a Facebook Group.
Instagram focus more on visual content and is an excellent way to build brand exposure.
You can share the same message across your accounts, but you need to customise how you present it to the target market on each account.
Seek out businesses who share the same values as your business. The focus on Social Media today is all about building communities and relationships. Sharing content and supporting other businesses will reinforce that community building and expose your business to new customers as well.
Collaborations can lead to partnerships for example if you’re selling vegan products you can team up with a yoga studio for a promotion.
7. OFFER EXCLUSIVE CONTENT OR PRODUCTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Reward your customers, show them you care about them. Tailor your content, make it interesting to entice your customers to come back. When you run promotions, make sure it is one of a kind, one they won’t find anywhere else.
8. BE AUTHENTIC
Always remember to be YOU.
People support a business because they identify with the brand and the people behind the band. Don’t be shy to show a little bit of personality.
For more information on how Social Media can benefit your business, contact us.